2. In addition to eliminating high GL carbohydrate, I started eating more whole grains: Whole grains are rich in fiber, antioxidants, minerals, and other nutrients. From everything I read, white flour is evil. I switched from sandwiches on white bread to whole wheat, from regular pasta to whole wheat pasta, from white rice to brown rice, and from potato chips to popcorn.
3. I ate mote fruits and vegetables:I ate at least 6 to 9 small servings of vegetables and fruit each day. Basically, whenever I was hungry I would snack on things like carrot sticks or fruit slices. Or Iíd drink a smoothie. These would fill me up without adding calories. I noticed that I started having more energy during the day too.Another thing I did without adding calories was to add vegetables to all my meals. I love spaghetti Ė mainly because of my Momís homemade spaghetti sauce. In addition to switching to whole wheat pasta, I started adding red peppers and mushrooms. Iíd eat the same amount of food, but a smaller portion of it was pasta. The rest was low-calorie, high nutrition vegetable.
4. I added protein to every meal: Protein has little effect on blood sugar. They also control hunger, helping reduce between meal snacking. Protein also helps feed your calorie-burning muscle tissue.
5. I ate smaller portions: When cooking at home, I put less on my plate. When eating out, I immediately divided the food in half and put it in a doggy bag. If I got hungry later, Iíd get some smoothie from the fridge or munch on some nuts.
6. I started exercising: I started taking walks at lunch and in the evening. Iíd run on weekends. I never really stuck with one exercise program Ė Iíd do something for a while that was new or fun. When I got bored of it, I switched to something different. The main thing was that I tried to do a little something every day.
That was it. It was a slow and steady approach, but after eight months I had lost 55 pounds!
One of the key points that made this approach successful was that I never thought of it as a diet. It was a strategy. That way I never felt like I was cheating. More than anything, I just focused on changing the way I did things.